- [in front of Saffy] Ooo, she’s so cold, sweetie! I’ll just bet she has her period in cubes.
- [shouting] I DON’T WANT MORE CHOICE, I JUST WANT NICER THINGS.
- [to Saffy] Oh you little BITCH TROLL FROM HELL.
- Saffie: I didn’t know you still had the shop.Eddie: Oh, still got it, darling, but it’s not doing very well. The supply’s dropped off. You know… India’s: had it, been there… Africa’s dried up completely now… It’s ridiculous… Thank God for Grozny. Honestly. Well, darling, if it wasn’t for that lovely little Russian army advancing, thrashing out all those gorgeous little heirlooms in my direction, I don’t know what I’d do… Oh, you should see, darling, in the shop I’ve got at the moment this fabulous little samovar with a little old woman still attached to it, sweetie. Clinging on for dear life. Having to lure her off with dry bread crumbs so that I could get a decent price…
- Eddie: What do you think of the kitchen, Pats?Patsy: I think it’s fabulous.Saffie: It isn’t done yet.
Eddie: No, sweetie. Maybe she’s right. Maybe this IS fabulous.
- Eddie: Patsy hasn’t eaten since 1974.Patsy: A crisp, darling. A crisp.
- Ooo… Bear with me, see, I am HOPELESS with names, faces and people.
- Eddie: Look at me Sweetheart, huh, huh? One day you’ll turn into me!Gran: [sweetly] And you will turn into me, dear.
- Don’t ask me. I for sure *don’t* know.
- Eddie: But darling, that dress was awful! How did you manage to get her to wear it?Patsy: Oh, I just told her a cock-and-bull story about how I was a slave to my mother in her dying years and how I always strived to make her like me and she never loved me at all, ha!Eddie: Ooh!…
[reflects for a second]
Eddie: But Pats, sweetie… That is all *true*. Your mother never loved you at all.
- Eddie: Where’s my thing? You know, my thing… my vibrating thing…Patsy: Right by your bedside drawer, darling.Eddie: Not THAT, not THAT!… My beeper, my beeper!
[fishes inside her skirt]
Eddie: [disgusted] Keep it. I don’t want it now. Don’t WANT it now.
- Eddie: [to Saffy] Oh, darling, Mummy loves you. On the day you were born I *knew* I wanted you…Patsy: However, the day after…
- Saffie: I am getting married.Bo: [delighted] Hallellujah! Praise the Lord! Let’s speak in tongues – boolooloolooloolooloo!
- Eddie: Is champas all right with you Pats?Patsy: Lovely darling.Eddie: Should we finish off the beluga or should we have some smoked salmon nibbly things?
Patsy: Oh whatever sweetie.
Eddie: All right, we’ll finish off the beluga.
- La Croix sweetie, La Croix.
- Get ready for this sweetie
- It’s fabulous darling.
- Let the music lift you up, sweetie.
- Bloody Pet Shop Boys, sweetie.
- [Edina has lost her speech which she has to present to the PR meeting]Eddie: Yeah I was gonna’ make a-[taps microphone]
Eddie: Testing. Testing. -Yeah I was gonna’ make a speech, but I just can’t be bothered anymore. I mean, this used to be like fun you know; yeah it used to be fun, but I’m getting bored of all the ‘fun’ bits now. You know, your endless bloody lunches and launches, you know, no-career celebrities and party desperates. And what for, huh? Some colony of crap tags and mags! Well I’m sorry there has to be a little more than that doesn’t there?
[slams her handbag down]
Eddie: Hmmm? You know I had a speech, you know, my… my integrated-projected-global-tele-network system bloody system-system. But you know, if that’s what the worlds coming to I don’t want to be in it. No I don’t want that. I don’t want to be in some sort of cyber-space-hypervirtual bloody reality. I don’t want that- exchanging e-mails with some old age bloody hippies with more information at their fingertips than is safe to know about. I don’t want that! What kind of reality is that, huh, you know, with a thirteen-amp plug on the end of it? Huh? Huh?… That can be un-plugged like that? Come-on I’m going.
[She turns to leave, but… ]
Eddie: No I’m not going yet! No, you!
[points to her competition, Claudia Bing]
Eddie: You, you, just sit there like your velcroed to some bloody add-man! You know those crap-head add-men over there, you know, those kings of bastardization that have just taken everything that was ever real and genuine and honest and original and attached it to a toilet cleaner! Whereas I, I… Like a bird on a wire… Like a drunk in a midnight choir… I have tried in my way to be free.
[Then she sings]
Eddie: Like a bird, on a wire.
Patsy: Go for it Eddy.
Eddie: [singing] … Like a drunk in a midnight choir. I have tried in my way to be free.
[Claudia Bing and her colleagues are laughing]
Eddie: Yeah you can laugh, but you know something- I don’t want more choice I just want nicer things! And you, you can take that look off your face, sitting there with your… with your wheels and AIDS and starvation. You know, skimming a neat profit of the whole of human misery. Labeling us all with this- with this global guilt. Well it may not be all great and good but it ain’t that bad, so cheer up world it may never bloody happen!
[slams her bag down again]
Eddie: Come on I’m going.
[Edina walks off making rude farting sounds at everyone in the room]
- Patsy: Easy going sex with gorgeous, underage youths…Eddie: Yeaaah.
- Eddie: Pats…Patsy: Yes, Eddy?Eddie: You have no morals, darling.
- I want total sensory deprivation and back-up drugs.
- Saffie: I’m sorry, mum, but I’ve never seen what it is that you actually do.Eddie: PRrr.Saffie: Yes, but…
Eddie: PR. I PR things. People. Places. Concepts…
Eddie: Lulu… I make the fabulous… I make the crap into credible. I make the dull into…
- [on the significance of awards]Eddie: They don’t matter, do they, darling?… Awards, Pats?Patsy: Oh, Eddy. We’ve been here before.
Eddie: It’s just… you know… I WANT one. I don’t just want one, darling, I NEED one. My career is on a toboggan run of failure at the moment… I just need one. It’s the only thing that seems to mean ANYthing these days… I need one now before the menopause drags me into her gaping jaws. Before my creative hormonal oil-well dribbles to a halt. Before my bottom becomes just a patch-work quilt of monkey glands, darling.
Saffie: But, Mom, menopause can be a very exhilarating and positive experience for a woman.
Eddie: Oooh, yes. And the curse is a blessing and childbirth is painless. No. Unless that gaping hole on my mantle piece is filled pretty soon, darling, I might as well… I might as well lick this light-switch and do us all a favour, darling…
- [to Saffy] You piece of filth!
- I have been a paradise, but I’ve never been a me.
- [to daughter Saffron]Eddie: With any luck we’d get Roman Polanski interested in you.Patsy: She was never young enough for him.
- [Eddy comes into the kitchen to find her mother making a cake]Eddie: What? This is all my stuff you’re using?Gran: What, dear?
Eddie: All this. This wheat powder… what’s… This.
Gran: Flour, dear?
Eddie: Flour. Yes. All this is mine, is it? I mean, I am now paying for old people to eat cake.
- Patsy: Take a holiday, darling. South of France.Magda: I don’t do holidays. Everybody’s a nobody in a bikini.
- Eddie: What do you see when you look in the mirror, darling?Patsy: Me looking fabulous. What do you see?Eddie: Yeah… Just the room.
- Eddie: Pats. Pats. You know, like, when you are in a room or something, and you think someone is like staring at you…Patsy: In a room?Eddie: Or in a plane. Anywhere… anywhere… And you are sort of doing things because you think someone is looking at you like people are looking at you, you know?
Patsy: On a plane?
Eddie: Well, anywhere… anywhere… And then you look at them and they are just sort of asleep but their head is flopped in your direction, you know? Well, I don’t want THAT to happen. I don’t want THAT to be my life, you know. The whole world asleep.
- Eddie: The word on the old grave marker, the words on your grave marker. What is that?Patsy: Oh, your epitomb.Eddie: Your epitomb. What is that you want on your epitomb?
Patsy: I want: “She was fantastic.”…”Patsy was here.”
Eddie: No, daring, you can just have “Patsy Stone”.
Patsy: Oh, Eddy, Eddy. Wait for this. Wait for this: “Eddy: Still no thinner.”
Eddie: These are really funny. We could sell those.
- [Saffron is living “on campus” and Eddy tells her she wants her to move back home]Saffie: Mum, what is the problem? I have my life and you have yours. This is what you wanted.Eddie: I feel orphaned, you know.
Saffie: What is the matter? Has the deal fallen through?
Eddie: No the deal. Not the deal. Not that. It’s just…
Eddie: Well, darling, you have just sort of abandoned me in this sort of wilderness of potential greatness and fabulousness, haven’t you? All my walls have gone “flop”, “flop”… I’m just like this kind of prisoner that’s released… RELEASED PRISONER, darling, that is walking out into the squinting sun. I mean, you’ve cast me adrift with no oars.
Saffie: You have oars.
Eddie: I haven’t.
Saffie: You have. You’re just too lazy and fat to use them.
- Eddie: All right, time for another little drinkie before we go?Saffie: Where are you going?Eddie: New York.
Saffie: I didn’t think they let people with convictions in.
Eddie: Darling, its not a conviction.
Patsy: Just a firm belief.
- I’m not happy!
- Sarah: Does your mother know you write plays and things?Saffie: No, and I don’t want her to either, so don’t say anything.Sarah: Oh, you don’t need to worry. I don’t speak to her anymore. Not since she gave me that chemical peel.
Saffie: Well, it wasn’t so much chemical. And not so much peel. She set fire to your pig-tails.
Sarah: It’s good job I’m thick-skinned… Well, except for the shoulder.
- Saffie: My life just flashed before my eyes.Eddie: What was it like? A Bergman film without the jokes?
- Had two husbands, one was too short one was gay. Still sweetie if you want to know how to peck a dwarf on the cheek as he’s walking out of the house to the disco in your dress , then I’m your girl.
- I thought a little mosey down Bond Street, a little sniff around Gucci, sidle up to Ralph Lauren, pass through Browns and on to Quags for a light lunch.
- Eddie: I did tell you the facts of life didn’t I sweetie?Saffie: If you mean that time you sat on my bed and shook me awake at two in the morning, stoned out of your brain, and slurred into my ear ‘By the way sweetie, people have it off,’ then yes, you told me the facts of life.
- Eddie: Sweetie what are you drinking?Patsy: Oh this? Chanel No. 5.
- They want you filleted and splayed on the butcher’s block so they can photograph all your organs for “Heat” magazine.
- Patsy: I can get you a man.Eddie: Well, how?Patsy: Pay.
- [to Saffy] Miserable little turnip.
- Family? Family? God, I hope you’re not inviting that bloody, bollocky, selfish, two-faced, chicken, bastard, pig-dog man are you?
- Bubble: I turned on the, ah, watchamacallit this morning. I want to say telephone. No, that’s not right. You look at it.Eddie: Television?Bubble: That’s it.
- One whiff of a cocoa bean and our customers would fly like vampires before garlic. Jeremy’s must remain a sterile oasis, free from street eaters and coffee carriers. Aseptic and razor-sharp as our customers hipbones. These women shop for lunch! labels are their only sustenance! Their skeleton legs in Manolos have worn trenches down the pavement of Sloane Street. Their arm sinews have just enough muscles left in their arm to lift up a credit card.
- Eddie: Mother, are you still on the computer?Gran: Yes, dear. Sometimes you get into a porn loop and just can’t get out.
- [commenting on Patsy’s new Botox look] You look like a haggis with pointed toes. A tight old bladder skin holding together some rotting offal.
- Eddie: I thought I told you to buy a laptop.Bubble: A lap… top? Top?[opens her bag and reveals a small lap dog]
Eddie: Get rid of it.
Bubble: Oh! But I’ve grown so fond! And it’s SO cute. And… it’s not just for life! It’s for Christmas!
- Gran: Talking to yourself dear? That’s the first sign of madness, you know.Eddie: Really? I thought it was talking to you.
- Pretty big tits.
- Bubble: Black matter is dragging us all towards eternal dalmatian… And before long we will all be cloned and turned into sheep. So, to avoid this fate, I am being picked up by a spaceship that is hidden in the tail of an approaching comet.[doorbell rings]Bubble: That’ll be them buzzing now.
- [about Edina’s cell phone ringing] Oh, Eddie… is it… Is it a bee?
- Eddie: In this body there is a thin person dying to get out.Gran: Just the one dear?
- Edina: ..And if you’re a bloody psychic psychologist how come I’m always having to phone you?
- Patsy: What will you drink if you stop drinking?Edina: I shall drink water.Patsy: [Blank look]
Edina: It’s a mixer, Patsy, we have it with whisky.
- Saffy: You’ve been getting dressed for three hours and you still look like a bloated citrus fruit.Edina: You are what you eat, remember?Saffy: Which makes you a very large vegetarian tart.
- Edina: I mean what you two don’t seem to realise is that inside of me, inside of me, there is a thin person just screaming to get out.Mother: Just the one, dear?
- Edina: [to Bubble] You, remember, cancel my aromatherapy, my psychotherapy, my reflexology, my osteopath, my homoeopath, my naturopath, my crystal reading, my shiatsu, my organic hairdresser. And see if I can be re-birthed next Thursday afternoon.Bubble: [Crossing her fingers] Consider it done!
- The last mosquito that bit me had to check into the Betty Ford clinic.
- [Edina’s threatening to adopt a Romanian baby]Edina: I wonder how you do go about it.Saffy: I should imagine you would have to go to Romania.
Edina: Oh don’t be stupid, darling. I’m sure they could send over a selection and I could pick one.
- [Discussing the Romanian babies]Edina: I’ll just be able to send them back, won’t I sweetie? Hmm?Patsy: Sell ’em on. Mark ’em up, sell ’em on!
- Edina: Sweetie, don’t you need some help, or something?Saffy: No, please don’t. You’ve only ever used this cooker to light your fags off of!Edina: Darling, that is simply not… No, that is true.
[Saffy slaps Edina.]]
Edina: Did you just hit me? That’s illegal, isn’t it?
- Bo: She’s not handling this 40 thing too well, is she? I mean, golly, I wish I could tell her it’s no big deal. I had a ball on my 40th birthday. I felt really strong, really sorted-out about it. I realized what a lucky, wonderful person I was. And whether in your 30s or your 40s, you’re still the same gorgeous person. Enjoy life!Mother: When will you be 50?[Bo starts hyperventilating.]
Marshall: She hasn’t started 50 therapy yet.
- [Discussing Patsy’s job at the magazine]Edina: Anyway Patsy’s got that job for life.Saffy: You don’t mean to say she’s actually good at something?
Edina: No, darling, she slept with the publisher!
Patsy: And I’m bloody good at it!
- Saffy: So what does a fashion director actually do?Edina: Oh, darling, she gets a 50% discount at Harvey Nicks.Patsy: It’s not only that, I mean there is work involved, y’know, skill.
Edina: Yeah, course there is.
Patsy: I decide what goes in the magazine. Y’know, one snap of my fingers and I can raise hemlines so high that the world is your gynaecologist!
- Edina[to Saffy]: Not one bloody boyfriend in the whole time that I’ve known you! I mean, you’re not that bloody ugly! What’s the matter with you? Huh? Have you read that “Karma Sutra” I gave you? No! That Dutch cap has only ever seen the light of day. I mean, God! Here I am, your mother, poised for your first sexual experience and night after night, dry bloody sheets! I’m sorry, darling, but I don’t want a little moustached virgin for a daughter, so do something about it!
- Nurse: [Pointing at Patsy] Facelift.Doctor: Oh it’ll be a doddle. Grab her by the scalp, shake her up and down a bit and cut off the slack! Tomorrow.
- Fleur: [Picking up face cream] Have you tried this? It’s a triple acting, alpha-hydroxy acid natural complex to reactivate your skin making you… scientifically more beautiful!Catriona: Sounds good!Fleur: “Dermatologists and opthamologists tested non-acnegenic-..” I don’t know what this means but it’s forcing me to believe it!
- Edina: I’m sorry, darling. It’s just had some rather bad news today, that’s all.Patsy: I need a drink!Edina: It’s very bad news actually, Pats.
Patsy: Oh what?
Edina: I’m dying!
Patsy: You can’t!
Edina: Well I am!
Patsy: Well what am I supposed to do if you die?
Edina: Get cabs!
- [Discussing guests for the funeral]Edina: God, I hope you’re not inviting that bloody, bollocky, selfish, two-faced, chicken bastard, pig-dog-man, are you??Saffy: You could just say “Dad!” I’d still know what you meant!
- [Eddy points to her bag of “Pop-specs”.]Saffy: It’s a sticker with a green tree on it.Edina: Yes.
Saffy: What does that mean?
Edina: Kind to trees, sweetie.
Saffy: How are they kind to trees?
Edina: Well they ain’t made of wood, how kind do you want!?
- Patsy: [Feels her stomach in discomfort]Edina: Have you eaten something?Patsy: No, not since 1973.
- [About Bettina] She was so anally retentive she couldn’t sit down for fear of sucking up the furniture.
- Patsy: I should have sued. I was cut to ribbons, I was scarred for life!Saffy: Extraordinary how it managed to hit you in exactly the same place behind each ear!
- Patsy: [Running down the stairs with four cigarettes in her mouth] Light! Light! Light!Edina: [Provides a light] Pats, honestly…Patsy: Bloody hell!
Edina: Not another no smoking cab, Pats? They must see you coming these days.
Patsy: Bloody bastard asthmatic cab driver!
- Edina: Can I just say one word in my defence?Saffy: I don’t think that’s a good idea, mum, your mouth is working for the prosecution.
- [Eddy is throwing out her clothes as fire damage for the insurance]Saffy: I could take these down to the charity shop.Edina: Splutters. You cannot give these sort of clothes to the poor! Darling, I’m sure they’ve got enough to contend with without the added humiliation of wearing last season’s, sweetie!
Patsy: Ey, Eddy, Eddy, remember that weekend with Mick and the boys? Laughs Fantastic!
Edina: Fabulous days, darling. [To Saffy] Patsy used to go out with Keith Moon, sweetie.
Patsy: Yeah, sort of. I mean, I woke up underneath him in a hotel bedroom once.
Edina: Yeah, still, that was going steady for the 60s, believe me.
- Bubble: She told me you had a tattoo on your unspeakables!Edina: I didn’t!Patsy: Eddy?
Edina: I didn’t. Unmentionables, I said.
Saffy: That could be anywhere on her!
- Saffy: It was my birthday today, Mum. [storms upstairs]Edina: You come back here, don’t you think you can just say something like that, hit and run! Now listen, I gave you that birthday, darling. You wouldn’t have that birthday if I hadn’t been generous enough to uncross my legs and give you to the world, darling. Nobody’s thanked me, have they?!
- Edina: My New Year’s resolution, sweetie… to have more fun! What’s yours, Pats?Patsy: Ohh, well, I think I’ll just try to be more relaxed.Saffy: You? More relaxed? What is that, dead? Well, that cancels out my resolution.
- Edina: This is my daughter, Saffy.Jackie: Never mind, too late to flush her nowJustin: I’m Saffy’s father.
Jackie: How sweet of you to admit to a thing like that.
- Justin: Did you have the same father?Jackie: No one knows. Mother was such a slut.Patsy: It could have been any of the men in any of the bars in France. Y’know, she was always the entertainment.
Oliver: Before slot machines?
Edina: She was the slot machine!
- [Edina and Patsy are looking at the pornographic magazine ‘Razzle,’ that Saffy found in her brother’s room]Saffron: It’s disgusting! That is so degrading to women!Patsy: What do you mean? She’s got the whip!
- Saffy: I think we should have a little talk, don’t you?Edina: Have you seen this, darling, this Nancy Friday? It’s extraordinary! She gets complete strangers to relate their filthiest thoughts and then sells them as therapy. It’s fantastic!Saffy: Mum, I want to know what you’re planning for tomorrow night.
Edina: Armpit kissing! Would you kiss an arm-..
Saffy: [Interrupting] I want to know!
Edina: Sweetie, it is simply the extrication of myself from the burden of sexual norms, and the restoration of my own powerful, and integrated sexuality.
Saffy: An orgy?
Edina: Yeah, that’s the one.
- Saffy: Ok, I got you condoms and femidoms. You are going to be safe, right?Edina: Yes of course sweetie. [Looking in the bag]Saffy: Have you opened these?
Grandma: They don’t put fingers on these gloves.
- Next week’s very busy for me. I’m launching Erica Jong’s new book, ‘Sex With Myself’ at Sticky Fingers. Bill’s thrilled, he loves huge openings!
- Patsy: Anyway, I just have to tell these tragic, little wannabes, do you know what I tell them? I say, darling, “just stick your fingers down your throat, hack off your tits, keep taking the tablets and don’t come back until you’re looking like something!” Y’know?Naomi Campbell: Yeah, I remember you.
- Mother: Talking to yourself, dear? That’s the first sign of madness, y’know?Edina: Really? I thought it was talking to you!
- [on the phone] No, no, no, mate. I don’t even get out of bed and piss for that kinda money!
- Darling, if you want to talk bollocks and discover the meaning of life you’re better off just downing a bottle of whisky. At least that way you’re unconscious by the time you start to take yourself seriously!
- Bubble: Oh, the police phoned. They’ve released your mother.Edina: Damn!Bubble: Good, though, in’t it? ‘Cause they haven’t had a record out for years!
- [Eddy has started practising yoga]Edina: Couple of weeks and I’ll be bending like Madonna, won’t I darling? I’ll be able to kiss my own arse from both directions!
- Mother: [Riding on Eddy’s scooter] You used to have one of these when you were a girl!Edina: Yeah, but I was never allowed on it.Mother: No, you were too big for it, you wobbled.
Edina: The scooter wobbled!
Mother: If you say so..
Edina: I have perfect balance, [to Saffy] sweetheart, look.
Mother: Wheels don’t buckle on their own.
- [Edina and Patsy have just returned from a Marilyn Manson gig]Patsy: She tried to crowd surf and the tide went out!Edina: The sea just parted, darling. I don’t know how it happened
Saffy: They’ve probably never seen anything that old flying at them before
- Edina: Right, time for another little drinky before we go.Saffy: Where are you going?Edina: New York.
Saffy: I didn’t think they let people with drug convictions in.
Edina: Darling, it’s not a conviction.
Patsy: Just a firm belief!
- [To Saffy] Why does everything you wear look like it’s bearing a grudge, darling?
- Patsy: It’s a good photo, isn’t it? I think the photographer really caught somethingSaffy: Syphilis. [Patsy kicks Saffy in the shin]
- Patsy: Put that book down, you’re not showing me up.Saffy: [To Edina] You see everything but yourself! You always have the best view in the room because you’re not looking at you!
- Eddy, y’know, your stomach’s like a dog that doesn’t know when it’s gunna be fed next so it just hangs around until you wanna kick it.
- I’m a fat person, that’s the end of it! Me! The woman who got stuck on an eating loop in Yo! Sushi! I mean, honestly, sweetheart! If they keep it coming round of course I’m gonna eat it, aren’t I!?
- Saffy: You burnt and scarred my best friend!Patsy: Who??Edina: Titicaca.
Patsy: Oh. [nods]
Saffy: Her name is Sarah!
Edina: Darling, she was standing with her little pigtails too close to a candle!
Patsy: Act of God.
Saffy: You were holding the candle!
Saffy: My life is like a constant winter.
Edina: Yeah, well she never thawed, did she?
Patsy: Rigor mortis set into her in puberty
Edina: She’s so cold, I bet she has her period in cubes
- Edina: We’ve gotta kill this play! C’mon, how would I normally ensure a flop?Bubble: Promote it!
- All right, I know I’m late, so don’t look at me like that. I’ve been up all night with the baby. I don’t know why it cries so much. I’ve got friends who use exactly the same sperm bank and theirs is perfect!
- I hate gynaecologists! A man who can always look you in the vagina but never in the eye!
- Bo: Marshall, Marshall. Where do the stars go to have the menopause?Marshall: Montana. And a small clinic in Arizona.Bo: Well…Hitch up the wagons. We’re going West.
- I don’t want a great, big fat bum like J’Lo, do I, darling? Laughs I mean, how high have that woman’s heels got to keep that nancy off the pavement now!
- Bubble: [cleaning] Hoover, hoover, hoover…Edina: YOU HAVE TO TURN IT ON, NOT JUST MAKE THE NOISE!
- [To Emma Bunton] They don’t want to know your mum’s your best friend. They want you to be some one-armed lesbian asylum seeker. They want the full cellulite shots. They want a 40 in the bed perv orgy with your Spice mates. They want you mainlining, arm jacking, smack crack nightmare, darling. They want you filleted and splayed on the butcher’s block so they can photograph all your organs for Heat magazine. I mean frankly, for once, I want to see you foaming at the mouth, stinking of piss in the gutter with this little thumb stuck up Justin Timberlake’s arse and you wearing nothing but a Gucci belt.
- Mother: Well, I suppose I’d better be off. I’ve got to get this lot (her knitting) down to the charity shop.Edina: Oh, God. No one’s that poor.Saffy: Or that shape!
- [Patsy blows her cigarette smoke in Saffy’s direction]Saffy: [Cough] Mum!Edina: Oh, don’t be so stupid, smoke can’t get in there, darling. Smoke can’t touch the baby. If it could you’d have come out looking like prosciutto, believe me.
Patsy: Or Donatella, liver sausage in a wig
- I’ve got an antenatal clinic to get to, 30 sweaty, wobbling women. Squatting on the floor, focusing on their exit holes. All believing they can breathe their way through childbirth. I tell ’em, “When push comes to shove, you’ll be screaming for drugs and shitting the bed!”
- You know my baby was so big it treated my inside like a smorgasbord, it picked my bones clean. I was a baby buffet. I was so long in labour they had to shave me twice.
- Saffy: Mum, you are just paying into the whole panic culture, I hate it. The world is actually safer than it’s ever been. In fact, you’re more likely to be hit by a bus!Edina: Oh yeah, darling, that’d be ironic, wouldn’t it? Closest I’ve ever been to public transport and it runs over me.
- Patsy: I was at work today…Saffy: Now we’re all in shock!Patsy: The girls were off, so I was on the floor…
Saffy: Nothing new for you!
- Minnie Driver? Is it a dwarf?
- Edina: Who bloody needs ’em? Upper classes, who bloody needs ’em, sweetheart? They’re all inbred anyway, aren’t they?Patsy: Yea, just a talking neck! Most of them have done away with features altogether! They have to marry a bit of common every now and again to ensure bone development!
- [Patsy and Eddy are trying to work out what to do with the pheasant Eddy caught]Patsy: Oh darling, just do what they do with unwanted house guests. Drug it, and dump it in Hyde Park!
- Bo: Hi, hi, hi! I want you to know I am in complete control. I know exactly what I’m doing.Saffy: I need the midwife.Bo: I’m a nurse!
Marshall: A dental nurse!
Bo: [To Marshall] She’ll never know. [Back to Saffy] Ok, open wide!Saffy: It feels really tight!!
Edina: Of course it’s tight. It’s all that olive oil you’ve rubbed into your perineum, darling, isn’t it? You’ve marinated it! It’s good for a barbecue, not for birth! That’s what you’ve done, darling.
Saffy: I haven’t been using it! Not since Patsy put a chili in it!!
- Edina: Darling, who was your favourite Stone?Patsy: Oh darling, you didn’t have a favourite Stone, you had ’em all!
- Edina: Anyway, darling, if you could harm a baby by shaking it, you’d’ve been a goner! [Laughs] Patsy used to shake you about, didn’t you?Patsy: Yeah, when you’d swallowed pennies.Edina: Yeah, always swallowing pennies, weren’t you?
Patsy: Yeah, well we had to put them somewhere! You were like a little money box. Put one in, then shake it when we want it out again!
- [On the phone to Saffy] Yeah, all right, darling… Well listen to me, we’re coming home now… Didn’t you get my note?.. Well all right, that’s fine, we’ll come home now, darling… Yeah, let’s forget about education, shall we sweetheart? D-Dio..bio..versity.. and everything like that, sweetheart… We’ll just come home now and live in the domain of ignorance, shall we, and watch Teletubbly videos if that’s what you want!.. Yeah, all right, we’ll see you in a minute… No, I am not drunk! How could I be drunk? I’m at the bloody zoo!
- Edina: Right, darling, we’ll go to the office and I can drop you at your interview.Saffy: Interview!? I thought she just slept with the publisher!
- Edina: [Talking about Saffy and Paolo] They haven’t done it, y’know. I don’t think she’s ever done it. I mean, she can’t be that unattractive, is she? Is she?Patsy: She is a virgin in a world where men will even turn to soft fruit for pleasure!
- Edina: Do you remember your first time?Patsy: Y’know it’s all a blank with me until 1968.Edina: Oh, yeah… God, I remember mine.
Patsy: What did you feel?
Edina: Well, just grateful, really, y’know.
Edina: ‘Cause you were always on my back!
Patsy: You’d think I’d remember that!
- Edina: I was taken up, up to Heaven and I spoke with God.Saffy: What about?Edina: Well, shopping mainly…
- Catriona: It is so lovely to have everything back to normal after that terrible thing last year.Edina: Yes, yes… 7/11.Saffy: (angrily) What?!
Edina: Oh, you know darling… the 24/7…Oh, 7/11!
Edina: 9/11, I knew that!
- [Edina meets her son, whom she finds out is gay but quite dull.]Edina: Darling, being gay is the best excuse you’ll ever have not to be boring!
- ..And I’m partial to an injection of adrenaline straight to the heart.
- Patsy: Jacks, I don’t remember any good times.Jackie: Oh yes, darling. Parties! You remember the party we had when mother died? That was a great time. How happy we were…
- Edina: And for lunch, sweetheart, for Christmas lunch, who comes to that?Saffron: Well, there’s me and John…Patsy: Is he from Gabon?
Patsy: Is he from Gabon?
Patsy: Yes, is he from Gabon?
Edina: Why are you saying that…
Edina: Will you stop saying that!
Patsy: Will you ask her if he’s from the Gabon.
Edina: [Irritated] Is he from Gabon?
Edina: No, he’s not from Gabon, so shut up!
- John: I don’t want to discuss vulgar matters, but when you are with the other fellow, what’s the procedure? How do you decide who is the gentleman and who is the lady?Justin: (looking uncomfortable) Well, I..I’m the lady.John: Oh, you’re the lady!
- Edina: So what’s the inspiration here?Max: Holocaust.Bettina: Don’t you like it?
Edina: No, I love it, I love it, I think it’s lovely, just thinking, perhaps something a little warmer…
Bettina: Max, turn on the pebbles.
[Max ignites an electric stone firepit.]
Bettina: COZY ENOUGH FOR YOU?Edina: So [Max] has to take [Bettina] back to Broadmoor… she was only out on day release anyway.
Patsy: What’s she in for?
Edina: Stabbing Kelly Hoppin with a glass shard at the design awards.
Absolutely Fabulous Quotes